Physical wellness is critical for overall well-being and is the most outwardly visible of the three primary dimensions of wellness. Some of the most obvious and serious signs that we are lacking good wellness appear when physical wellness deteriorates. Of course, addressing physical wellness issues is crucial for anyone suffering from chronic ailments and wanting to regain and maintain overall good balance in wellness. It is important to understand that the lifestyle choices we make every day have the biggest impact on our state of physical wellness.
Factors Influencing Physical Wellness
Physical wellness is maintained as a result of balance in several key areas:
- Physical activity – including strength, flexibility, and endurance. It is essential to be active on a daily basis, with a mix of both leisurely physical activity such as hiking, biking and walking and/or more structured forms of exercise such as strength training, running, and sports.
- Nutrition and diet – encompassing nutrient intake, hydration and healthy digestion. Scripture is an excellent guide on nutrition.
- Rest and sleep – Allowing the body to rest and repair is just as important as getting regular activity.
- Self-care – includes addressing minor injuries and seeking emergency care whenever necessary.
- Avoiding toxic and other detrimental substances – Substances that alter mood or other bodily processes should be limited or avoided.
There are numerous signs of poor physical wellness that should alert you to seek help.